Current Power-food Obsession: Bone Broth
If you haven't heard about it yet, you will very soon. Touted as the "new green juice," bone broth's health benefits include:
- beauty food for skin, hair and nails
- healthy gut/ supports digestions
- joint and bone health
- immune boosting
What is it?
Bone broth is slowly cooked animal bones in water (typically chicken or beef). The connective tissue is broken down, releasing collagen, minerals and nutrients into the liquid. Bone broth isn't a new health fad, but has been used for centuries in most cultures.
How to use it
I start every morning with a cup of bone broth in place of my coffee. For those of you who often have a second cup in the afternoon, bone broth makes for a perfect, healthier alternative.
- bone broth is more nutritious than coffee
- won't disturb your sleep like caffeine
- bone broth is full of minerals, nutrients and amino acids
- use as an alternative to a sports drink! After a workout sip on bone broth to rehydrate and replenish electrolytes like sodium and potassium
My favorite bone broth: The Brothery
Bone broth must be made from high-quality meat bones. This means they must be organic, properly fed and free of any hormones, preservatives or chemicals. It is also essential that the bone broth is properly prepared (Campbell's soup wouldn't work!), as it needs to be simmered for long periods of time to ensure the full nutrients are expelled from the bones.